Vision Shaping Treatment:
What is Orthokeratology?
Ortho-K (short for Orthokeratology) is a non-surgical procedure using specially designed contact lenses to gently reshape the curvature of the eye while you sleep, allowing patients to see clearly without contacts or glasses during the day!
How does it work?
This revolutionary non-surgical procedure eliminates the need for glasses or daytime contact lenses. The custom designed therapeutic contact lenses gently reshape the front of the eye while you sleep. You simply insert the lenses at bedtime and take them out when you awake, leaving you with clear, natural vision for the rest of the day!
What are the benefits?
- Myopia control (slows the rate of nearsightedness progression)
- Relief from dry eye (don’t have to feel contacts in your eyes all day long!)
- Less risky than surgery (great alternative to laser surgery)
- Flexible & fully REVERSIBLE (can change the lenses over time to match changes in your prescription)
Am I a good Ortho-K Candidate?
- Are you unable to wear contacts due to allergies or dryness?
- Do you work in a dusty environment that makes it difficult to wear contacts?
- Do you swim and need to see clearly under water? (It’s not safe to wear contacts while swimming!)
- Would you like to work out, hike, swim, ski or enjoy other sports without wearing glasses or contacts?
- Do you want to wake up in the night and see clearly?
- Do you have a job that requires good vision without contacts or glasses (law enforcement, lifeguard, etc.)?
- Do glasses constantly slip down your nose?
- Are you interested in LASIK but are not quite ready?
- Is your child’s prescription getting stronger every year?
- Is your child being bullied because he or she wears glasses?
This procedure is suitable for a broad base of the population that requires vision correction. Book an appointment to find out if you’re a candidate for Ortho-K lenses.
How long does it take?
Orthokeratology can produce results in a surprisingly short period of time. The length of treatment to achieve your goals can vary from patient to patient, but is generally 7-10 days. Factors which can affect the speed of treatment include: your initial prescription, corneal rigidity, tear quality and patient expectations. During the first few days of the fitting process, your doctor may provide soft lenses that can be used temporarily until excellent vision with Ortho-K alone is achieved.
Is it safe?
Ortho-K is a very safe and fully reversible procedure. It was approved by the FDA in 2002. However, as with any contact lens wear, there is a small risk of infection, which can usually be resolved with antibiotic drops. This risk is greatly minimized by adopting a regime of careful cleaning and disinfecting, by wearing the lenses as prescribed by your doctor, and by complying with the necessary follow up visits.
If this is something you think you might be interested in, book an appointment with one of our Certified Orthokeratologists:
Further studies and articles are listed below for your review:
- SMART Study - 3 Year Outcomes and Overview
- The Safety of Orthokeratology
- Increasing Prevalence of Myopia in Europe and the Impact of Education
- Efficacy and Acceptability of Orthokeratology for Slowing Progression in Children
For more information call us at Optomeyes!