Canadian Diabetes Association Recommends Annual Eye Exams For All Diabetic Patients
- A recent announcement by the Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA) revealed that 6 million Canadians have “pre-diabetes” and 25% of those people will likely progress to Type II Diabetes in 3-5 years.
- New CDA clinical guidelines emphasize early identification & treatment of patients at risk.
- 3.4 million Canadians currently have diabetes and the prevalence is estimated to increase 44% by 2025
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness due to Diabetic Retinopathy in Canadian adults.
- Diabetic Retinopathy commonly exists at the time of diagnosis (60%) in Type II diabetics and 30% will have diabetic retinopathy within 5 years.
- For this reason any person with the diagnosis of diabetes or “pre-diabetes” is strongly recommended to get routine annual eye exams which includes Digital Retinal Imaging.
- It is important to send a Diabetic Eye Report following every eye exam to your Family Doctor. Optomeyes will send this free of charge.
We have two locations to serve you better.